There is a pirate themed raft race at this year’s Branksea Regatta which starts at the pier and ends with a treasure hunt on Smugglers Cove beach. Lottie reads the tale of Grace O’ Malley, a real life pirate who lived many years ago in Ireland, and decides that Grace is going to be the inspiration for her crew. Grace’s father was a clan chieftain who taught her to sail and she eventually came to be in charge of hundreds of men and many ships and became a very powerful woman; a ‘Pirate Queen’.
Lottie wears brown corduroy shorts with green sash, orange and white striped long sleeve top with removable skull and crossbones patch, pale blue waistcoat with black felt and button contrast detail, cream tights and pirate boots with buckle. A cutlass sword and a series of Grace O’ Malley collector cards complete the outfit.
Accessory Set Available! Pirate Queen Lottie doll is a perfect partner for the Pirate Queen accessory set.
Read more about Grace O’ Malley, the original ‘Pirate Queen’
Lottie is inspired by reading about the life of the original ‘Pirate Queen’, Grace O’ Malley, a real-life pirate who lived in 16th century Ireland, the ’most notorious woman in all the coasts of Ireland’.
We recommend ‘Pirate Queen of Ireland – The Adventures of Grace O’Malley’, a children’s version of the life of Grace O’Malley by award-winning biographer Anne Chambers.
- Lottie is a wholesome doll alternative for children aged 3-9; she is 7.5 inches (18cm) tall, so is very portable and easy for little hands to carry around.
- The key point of difference is that Lottie has a ‘childlike’ body – she doesn’t wear makeup, jewellery or high heels and she can stand on her own two feet (always a useful life skill for all girls, big and small).
- She’s all about letting girls be girls, doing all the activities a child would do, not growing up too quickly, and presenting a healthy view on body image.
- Lottie’s clothing is composed of tactile fabrics with lots of attention to detail, easy to dress and undress, with velcro fastenings.
- Her hair is lovely and soft; it doesn’t tangle and knot like other doll hair.
- Lottie has bendable knees with ball socket hips and arms; her head can move side to side and she can do the splits front to back and side to side.
- Lottie is presented in a giftable, illustrated and collectible ‘doll box bag’, with minimal plastic packaging.
- Launched in August 2012, she has won 12 international awards, including 3 Oppenheim Portfolio Platinum Awards.
- Recommended Age: 3 Years +